Vice President Henry Wilson

Philadelphia Public Ledger, November 24, 1875

THE DEATH OF THE VICE PRESIDENT WILSON- ACTION OF THE COMMITTEE OF COUNCILS- The Joint Special Committee of City Councils appointed on behalf of the city, in regard to the obsequies of the late Hon. Henry Wilson, met yesterday morning; the chairman, Mr. King, presiding.

The Clerk read telegrams from James R. Young, Executive Clerk of the Senate, stating that Senator Thurman is Chairman of the Washington Committee; also, one from Hon. Hamilton Fish, stating that no arrangements have as yet been concluded, and that the telegrams from Philadelphia will be laid before the committee having the matter in charge.

Mr. Spering stated that Colonel R. Dale Benson had offered the services of the First Regiment N. G.  as an escort at any time. The committee then adjourned until half-past two o’clock, the Clerk being instructed meantime, to telegraph to Washington and inform the Committee of Arrangements that a meeting would be held.

In the afternoon the committee re-assembled.

Communications were read from Colonel Benson tendering the services of the First Regiment, and from Gen. J. P. Bankson, stating that the services of the First Division were at the command of the committee.

The Clerk read despatches from the Executive Clerk of the Washington Committee in Washington, and from Hon. Samuel J. Randall, stating that the committee had decided to accept the offer of the authorities of Philadelphia. The funeral is to take place in Washington on Saturday, and the body is to lay in state in Independence Hall on Sunday.

Mr. David H. Schuyler was selected as undertaker for the occasion.

On motion of Mr. Spering the clerk was directed to communicate with the Commissioner of City Property and have Independence Hall draped.

Mr. Glenn moved that the chairman be requested to communicate with the Major General commanding the First Division National Guard as to the military escort agreed to.

Mr. Glenn moved that the clerk be instructed to publish in the daily papers an invitation for the marshals of all civic organizations who desire to take part in the obsequies to meet the Committee at 10 o’clock Friday morning.

The Mayor, being invited to meet the committee, offered to co-operate with them in any manner they may desire.

On motion of Mr. Marcus, a committee of three was appointed on music.

Mr. Baldwin moved that the officers of the army and navy be invited to attend the funeral. Agreed to.

On motion of Mr. McMullin, the committee decided to meet the train containing the remains at Wilmington, and that the Mayor and General Bankson be invited to accompany them. Adjourned.


Philadelphia Public Ledger, November 25, 1875

THE OBSEQUIES OF VICE PRESIDENT WILSON- MEETING OF THE COUNCIL COMMITTEE- The Committee of City Councils having in charge the obsequies in this city of the late Vice President, Hon. Henry Wilson, met again yesterday morning, in the Mayor’s Office. In addition to the members of the Committee there were present the Mayor, Assistant Quartermaster Rucker, U.S.A.; Maj. Gen. N.P. Bankson, commanding 1st Div. N.G. of Penna.; Commodore Preble, U.S.N.; Commissioner of City Property Dixy. And Colonel Knight and Major Tevis, of General Bankson’s staff.

The following communications were then read by the Clerk:

WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 23, 1875.

Joseph H. Paist, Esq., Clerk of Select Council, Philadelphia, Pa.:

The remains of the late Vice President, in charge of the Massachusettes Committee, will reach Philadelphia about 10:45 Friday night. That committee will comply with the desire of the authorities of Philadelphia, that the remains lie in Independece Hall Saturday morning, but the committee will desire to leave Philadelphia in time to reach New York Saturday afternoon by 3.30 o’clock. For any further information you may desire telegraph Col. Edward Wyman, Arlington Hotel, Washington City.


Philadelphia Depot of the Quartermaster’s Department.


PHILADA., Nov. 24, 1875, 10.10 A.M.

Joseph H. Paist, Esq., Clerk of Select Council.

Sir:- I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt, a few minutes ago, of your note of yesterday, informing to myself and the officers of this depot to participate in the funeral ceremonies of the late Vice President.  In reply, I beg leave to state that the officers of the depot have been informed of the contents of your note, and that if possible, I will attend the meeting of the committee this morning in accordance with your invitation.          Very Respectfully,

Your obedient servant,


Assistant Quartermaster General, U.S.A.

General Bankson suggested that the proper military escort for a Vice President is the same as for a Major-General Commanding, namely, one regiment of infantry, two battalions of cavalry and two batteries of artillery. The First Division can furnish a regiment of infantry, one battalion of cavalry and one battery of artillery. He would not recommend that any cavalry or artillery should go to the depot at night. but he would send a regiment of infantry to escort the remains from the depot to Independence Hall, and there detail a company for guard duty during the night, and in the morning he would turn out the full escort to parade from Independence Hall to the New York depot.

Mr. Spering moved that Major General Bankson be requested to furnish “ a proper military escort” for the funeral.

Mr. Glenn though we should do all we can to honor the memory of the Vice President of the United States, and he moved to amend by requesting the General commanding to order out one regiment on Friday evening, and the whole Division for parade on Saturday morning.

Mr. Glenn’s amendment was voted down- ayes 4, nays 4.

Mr. Sperings motion was then carried.

Genl. Bankson explained that there would be no embarrassment whatever in making a detail for the escort. This detail would be made by roster, and neither the First Regiment nor the State Fencibles, who had already tendered their services, would come in order on the roster, but the Second Regiment would be the one ordered out, and if the others desired to turn out they might do so.

Mr. Baldwin said that he feared there would be jealousy among the military, and he moved the vote by which Mr. Glenn’s amendment was defeated be reconsidered. Agreed to.

The amendment requesting the General to order out the whole division on Saturday morning was then passed.

Commodore Preble said he would order out the marines, about 100 in number, and the Navy Yard Band, to report to the Major General commanding the military escort.

On motion of Mr. Marcus the offer of Commodore Preble was accepted.

The clerk announced that Assistant Quartermaster Rucker had informed him that many officers of the regular army would turn out.

Mr. Baldwin moved that the Governor and staff and Lieutenant Governor be invited to participate in the funeral. Agreed to.

The committee then adjourned.

Major General Bankson issued the hollowing order yesterday, to Brigadier General H.P. Mulrheld:

HEADQUARTERS OF FIRST DIVISION NATIONAL GUARDS OF PENNSYLVANIA, PHILADELPHIA, Nov. 24, 1875- Special Orders, No. 9.- I. The commanding officer of the First Brigade will detail a regiment from this command to act as escort and guard of honor to the remains of the late Vice President of the United States- Henry Wilson.

II. The regiment will report at 10.15 P.M. on the 26th inst. To the Assistant Adjutant General of the Division, at the depot of the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore Railroad, Broad and Washington avenue.

By command of Major General Bankson.


The following order was also issued:

Headquarters First Division, National Guard of Pennsylvania- By order of the Governor and Commander-in-Chief, in testimony of respect to the memory of the late Vice President of the United States, Henry Wilson, the colors of the Division will be draped, and all officers wear the usual badge of mourning on the sword hilt and left arm for thirty days.

The Division will parade on Saturday, 27th inst., to escort the remains of the late Vice President from Independence Hall to the New York Depot. Hour and place of formation will be hereafter announced.

By command of Major Gen. J.P. Bankson


Lt. Col. and A.A.G.



Philadelphia Public Ledger, November 26, 1875

THE OBSEQUIES OF VICE PRESIDENT WILSON- MEETING OF THE COUNCIL COMMITTEE- Pursuant to adjournment the Councils Committee on the obsequies of Vice President Wilson met yesterday in the Mayor’s office. Mr. Samuel G. King presided.

Mr. Jos. H. Paist, Clerk of the committee, announced that he had received the following telegram:

WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov. 24, 1875.

Joseph H. Paist, Clerk of Select Council, Philadelphia:

Cannon definitely give details; train will probably not be special; expect about forty guests, besides the body- guard of twelve, in the party; shall probably get to your Broad and Prime streets depot about 10:40, leave Philadelphia about noon Saturday for New York; please telegraph whatever arrangements you may decide upon to Edward Wyman, Colonel and A.D.C., Arlington Hotel.

Mr. Paist replied by letter, giving what had been determined upon, and in answer received the following:

WASHINGTON, Nov. 25, 1875.

Joseph H. Paist, Clerk Select Council:-

Your arrangements as per letter of yesterday are entirely in accord with our wishes. A guard of marines will be acceptable. Party will probably number 30 or 40, including body guard of marines. Should it vary much from this, will telegraph you.


Col. and A.D.C.

Mr. Paist also received the following:

PHILA., Nov 25, 1875- J. H. Paist, Clerk Select Council:- The train, with the remains of the Vice President, will leave Baltimore at about 6:30 P.M., and be due at Philadelphia not later than 10:45 P.M. I will arrange for a car to be sent to Wilmington or to any other point your committee may desire to meet the committee in charge from Washington to accompany them to Philadelphia.



On motion of Mr. Marcus, the offer of a special car intended by the P.W. and B. Railroad was accepted, with thanks.

Mr. Glenn, being called upon for information as to whether any other arrangements than those announced had been made with General Bankson, said there had not been anything more definite arranged. He thought that everything was understood, and had no doubt but that al would act harmoniously. He moved that Mr. Samuel G. King be selected to act as Chief  Marshal of the civic procession. Agreed to.

Mr. King returned thanks for his selection as Chief Marshal, and appointed Mr. Glenn Chief Assistant Marshal.

Mr. Marcus reported that McClurg’s Liberty Cornet Band of twenty pieces had been secured, and he was ordered to report at 9 ½ A.M. on Saturday.

It was agreed that a committee should take the special car at the Broad and Prime Streets Depot at 6:30 P.M., and meet the remains at Wilmington.

Col. Glenn announced the following arrangements for to-morrow:

Order No. 1.- The Committee in charge of the remains, the Governor of Pennsylvania and Staff, the Mayor and members of Congress from the city of Philadelphia, and pall bearers, will form in the hallway of Independence Hall . The members of Select and Common Councils, Cheifs of Departments and assistants, members of the Senate and House of Representatives of Penna., in the order named, will form in the main entrance of Independence Square, with the right resting on Walnut street.

The Union League will form on the main entrance, with the right resting on the left of the members  of the House of Representatives. Other organizations will form on the left of the Union League, in the order of their arrival.

The line will form at 10 ½ o’clock and in open order, and will march in fours. The following is the order of march:

Major General John F. Hartranft, Governor of Pennsylvania, and Staff.

Major General Bankson and staff.

First Division National Guard of Pennsylvania.

Hearse and Guard of Honor.

Committee in change of Remains.

The Mayor and members of Congress from the city and pall bearers, in carriages.

Samuel G. King, Chief Marshal, and Staff.

The Marshals and Committee of Arrangements of the City.


Select and Common Councils.

Chief of Departments and assistants.

Members of the Senate and House of Representatives of Pennsylvania.

Union League.

Philadelphia Union Club.

Other organizations in the order of position at formation.

The column will more in column of fours at 11 o’clock sharp, over the following route: Out Walnut street to Twenty-second street, thence to Chestnut, thence to Thirty Third, thence to Mark and to depot.

The Mayor was required to furnish a police escort.

Mr. King announced the following named gentlemen as the pall bearers:

Hon. A. E. Borie and Judge James Campbell, ex-Cabinet officers; General Robert Patterson, General George Cadwalder, and the Presidents of Select and Common Councils.

The Union League, the Patriotic Order of Sons of America, and the Philadelphia Union Club have announced their intention to participate in the obsequies.

When the remains arrive to-night, they will be met at the Broad and Washington avenue depot by a regiment detailed by Gen. Bankson, and escorted to Independence Hall.

The following special orders were issued last evening:

Members of Select and Common Councils will assemble in the Common Council Chamber, on Saturday morning, Nov. 27th, 1875, at half-past nine o’clock, for the purpose of participating in the funeral procession of the late Hon. Henry Wilson, Vice President of the United States Heads of City Departments and their assistants will meet at the same place and hour. Dress- Dark suits and silk hats. By request of the Chairman of the Committee. JOSEPH H. PAIST, Clerk of Select Council.

Order No. 2.-  Officers of the Army and Navy not on duty, and civilians desiring to join in the procession on Saturday, will meet in Select Council Chamber on Saturday morning at 9 ½ o’clock. Marshals of civic societies will report to the Chief Marshal on their arrival at Independence Hall. By order of Samuel G. King. Chief Marshal.

The following order was issued yesterday by Colonel Lyle:

Headquarters Second Regiment Infantry. National Guard of Pa.- General Order No. 11: Pursuant to Special Order No. 1, from Headquarters First Brigade, First Division, National Guard of Pa., dated Philadelhia, Nov. 24, 1875, the Regiment will parade in full dress uniform on Friday, 26th inst., at 9 o’clock P.M., for escort duty and guard of honor to the late Vice President of the United States, Henry Wilson.

By order of Colonel Peter Lyle.

Jos. S. Von Nelda, 1st Lt. and Act. Adj.

The preparations for the reception of the remains have been place in the hand of Messrs. Schuyler & Armstrong, undertakers. They will furnish a hearse, drawn by ten black horses, with ten colored grooms. The hearse will meer the body at the depot and convey it to Independence Hall, and on Saturday morning will be in readiness at 10 A.M., at the Walnut street entrance to await the orders of General Bankson for conveying the body to the New York depot.

The decorations in Independence Hall have begun, and will be completed by Friday evening, in time for the arrival of the remains. The general design comprises a canopy made of United States flags and the Massachusetts State colors, draped in mourning, with black fringe curtains around the edges. Under this canopy the remains will be placed on a catafalque, covered with black cloth festooned with crape and deep fringe. The body will lie with the head toward the east and with the feet toward the entrance to the hall.

At the head will be a floral design, comprising a bed of flowers, on which rests a bell, a harp and a cross, surmounted by a pillar and crown, which in turn are surmounted by a broken column. The height of the design will be four feet. There will be a pillar and star in flowers lying on the face of the casket. The hall has been draped with heavy black crape and flags, with white rosettes.

The casket is of walnut, covered with black cloth, heavily mounted with silver and with handles reaching the full length of the casket. The top is of plate glass. On the outer lid is a silver plate, with the name and aged of the deceased. The procession will enter the hall on Chestnut street, and the exit will be on Independence Square.

The front of the Union League House has been very handsomely draped in black, in heavy festoons over the portico and around the doors and windows.

Governor Hartranft will command the military escort on Saturday in person, and will be attended by his staff as an additional mark of respect to the illustrious dead.


Philadelphia Public Ledger, November 27, 1875

THE OBSEQUIES OF VICE RESIDENT WILSON- ARRIVAL OF THE REMAINS IN PHILADELPHIA- RECEPTION AT INDEPENDENCE HALL- THE DECORATIONS- The arrangements for the reception and care of the remains of the late Vice President Wilson were completed, yesterday, by the committee of Councils, a report of whose proceedings is given in another column. The decorations of Independence Hall were finished early in the evening. Owing to the heavy rain, the only decorations placed on the outside of the building consisted of heavy festoons of black material hung from the windows of the second story, but it was the intention to supplement these early this morning with a large number of elegant silk flags to be hung from the windows. In the interior of the hall the draping is profuse and elegant. In the centre of the room, supported by the four pillars, is a large canopy formed of American flags, and edged by a wide curtain of black bombazine trimmed with heavy fringe. The four pillars are wrapped with national and regimental flags entwined with black. The old crystal chandelier hands directly in the centre of the canopy, and beneath it is a handsome catafalque, covered with black broadcloth and ornamented with heavy folds and rosettes of the same material. In the east end of the room, back of the John Hancock chair, on the platform, is an elaborate design formed of silken flags surrounding a handsome painting of the coat of arms of Massachusetts. Around the walls of the room are deep festoons of black bombazine, looped up with white rosettes, and similar material surrounds all the windows. The table on which the Declaration of Independence was signed has been removed from the platform, and, in its place is erected a stand, about five feet high, constructed in three steps or rises and covered with black broadcloth, on which are placed a portion of the floral decorations; square pedestals, covered with black velvet in loose folds, stand on each side of this also, for flowers.

The floral decorations are profuse and beautiful. Hanging from the edge of the canopy opposite the entrance door of the Hall is an imitation of the Independence Bell, about eighteen inches high, of white flowers, and pendant from the centre of the chandelier directly over the catafalque, is a large and elegant crown of tea rose buds and camellias. On the top of the stand mentioned above, is a design representing a broken column about five feet in height. On the shelf below is a large cross on one side and a hard on the other, while in the centre and still lower down is a large pillow, on which is a crown. On the pedestal, on either side, are placed stars and wreaths. All these designs are formed of tea rose buds, camellias, white carnations, tube roses, jessamine and bouvardia, twined with smilax, and hung with white illusion. These were all furnished by order of the committee. In addition there is a small cross of rose buds, sent by Miss Claghorn; a large cross and a nosegay, from George W. Childs; a superb crown of white flowers from A.J. Drexel, and a handsome wreath with a card, bearing the following inscription:

“From the colored soldiers and sailors of the late war for the Union, under the auspices of J.W. Jackson Post, No. 27, Grand Army of the Republic. To be placed on the remains of our beloved friend and champion of freedom and equal rights to all men, Hon. Henry Wilson, late Vice President of the United States of America, as a small token of our regard for him as an impartial statesman and a friend to the soldier. G.M. Burton, W.D. Cooper, W. Smith, committee. W.T. Morris, Post Commander. T.J. Griffen, Acting Adjutant.

Among the floral tributes mentioned is one from a lady of this city well known through her active participation in all good works. She wrote to a friend on the subject, the following being an extract from her note:

“I cannot help recalling his bright countenance at Saratoga, one morning, when he gave me a full account of his life from his boyhood to the present time. Upon another occasion, when speaking of parting from our dear ones, he said ‘When I die will you drop a little flower on my grave?’ I said ‘O yes, the prettiest one I can find.’ To fulfill this promise is the cause of my writing you this morning.”

The flower is among those received this evening.

At 8 o’clock last evening, a special train of a locomotive and one car, left the Baltimore depot, having on board Mayor Stokley, Messrs. Samuel G. King, O. Howard Wilson, John Monroe, J.W. Allen, Henry Marcus, John C. Bickel, William Baldwin, George A. Eno. William McMullin, Thomas Hill, John Fox, Nathan Spering and George A. Smith, of City Councils, and a number of invited guests, and proceeded to Wilmington to meet the train bringing the remains from Baltimore.

The special train arrived at Wilmington about 9 o’clock, and at 9.25 the train from Baltimore arrived. This was a regular train, and brought three special cars containing the casket, the guard of honor, the Massachusetts committee and distinguished guests. The cars were all heavily draped with black. At Wilmington these three cars were coupled to the special train from Philadelphia, which left Wilmington at 9.31, ahead of the regular train, arriving at the depot, Broad street and Washington avenue, at 10.25 P.M. The party from Baltimore consisted of the Massachusetts Committee, consisting of Colonel Edward Wyman, Aide-de-Camp to Governor Gaston, and Messrs. Dunn and Turner, of the Massachusetts Executive Council. Hon. George S. Boutwell, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts, and Hon. Charles O’Nell. of Penna., represented the two Houses of Congress. There were also of the personal friends of the deceased, his brother, Mr. S.H. Colbath; his private secretary, Mr. C.P. Stetson; Mr. M. Crossman, Mr. Frederick Douglass, Mr. James Wormly, and Mr. Robert Purvis. There was also a committee of the officers of the Fifth Maryland Regiment, consisting of Brevet Lieut. Col. Poutier, Major Gatner, Commissary Johnson, Captains Zollinger, Brown, Reeves and Post and Lieutenant Albers. These gentlemen went from Baltimore to Washington and will accompany the remains to Boston. The casket was in the forward one of the three cars and was in the immediate charge of Mr. James I. Christy, Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms of the United States Senate, and was accompanied by a guard of honor of United States Marines, under Captain George B. Haycock, who, by order of the President, are to proceed to Boston with the remains and deliver them in charge of Governor Gaston.

Colonel William J. Whitely, Mayor of Wilmington, Mr. L.F. Lichtenstein, president, and a delegation of the Wilmington City Councils, had met the remains at Perryville and escorted them through the State of Delaware, accompanying the party to this city. Upon the lid of the casket as it lay in the car was a handsome cross and several bouquets of white flowers, and at the foot a large branch of palm.

When the Philadelphia party met those who had come from Washington Mr. King addressed Colonel Wyman and informed him of the objects of the committee and the authorities of Philadelphia, stating that it was their desire that the remains of the illustrious dead should lie for a brief time in Independence Hall in charge of the city authorities.

The Mayor extended to the travellers the hospitalities of the city and Colonel Wyman briefly expressed his thanks for the kindness.

On the arrival of the special train at the depot the party were met by General Bankson and Mulrheld, with their staffs, and Colonel John F. Glenn, who was superintending matters on behalf of the city authorities. The Second Regiment National Guard of Pennsylvania, under the command of Colonel Peter Lyle, assisted by the following field and staff officers: Major John A. Gorgas; Major Kingston Goddard, M.D., Surgeon; Captain S.Y. Greer, Commissary; Captain John A. Harris, Quartermaster; Lieut. Joseph S. Vonnelda, Acting Adjutant; was drew up on Broad street in front of the depot. The casket was carried from the car and placed on a hearse drawn by six black horses. The Marines from Washington surrounded the hearse, which was placed in the centre of the regiment, immediately behind the colors. Carriages were furnished for the party who came on the train, and the cortege, headed by the Second Regiment Band and Drum Corps. marched up Broad street to Spruce, down Spruce to Fifth, up Fifth to Chestnut, and thence to Independence Hall. There was a very large crowd around the depot and along the streets through which the procession passed, and the throng in front of Independence Hall was immense.

Upon arrival at the Hall a guard of thirty-six men, detailed from the Second Regiment and under command of Captain John W. Barnes of Co. D, 1st  Lieutenant Benjamin Tyre of Co. A, and 2d Lieutenant Theo G. Stilles of Co. G, was detailed for guard duty during the night. This guard formed in two ranks, facing inward, extending from the curbstone to the door of the hall, and through the ranks the casket was carried into the hall, the entire command presenting arms. On reaching the interior the casket was placed on the catafalque, and the wooden lid removed, exposing the remains, which are completely covered by plate glass. One of the marines from Washington was posted on guard at the head of the casket, and guards from the Second Regiment were posted at the four corners of the canopy, the entrances and other portions of the hall. When these arrangements were completed the public was admitted, entering the hall by a stairway through one of the front windows, passing around the casket in single file and out through one of the back windows by a similar stairway into Independence Square. Not withstanding the lateness of the hour (after midnight) the thousands who had waited upon the street availed themselves of this opportunity to view the remains of the illustrious dead. The body is in very good condition, and is handsomely dressed in a full suit of black cloth. The face, however, is much emaciated, and would hardly be known by those who had been acquainted with the deceased when in health.

The casket was kept open until 2 o’clock this morning, when it was closed until 7 o’clock.

At 11 o’clock this morning the remains and the distinguished visitors, escorted by the First Division N.G. of Pennsylvania, will leave Independence Hall for the Germantown Intersection, where they will be put on board the train for New York.

At the United States Navy Yard, yesterday, a salute of 21 guns was fired at sunrise, another salute of 19 guns at meridian, and salute of 13 guns at sunset, and the flags were half-masted. Similar honors will be paid to the memory of the deceased today.

Philadelphia Public Ledger, November 29, 1875

THE OBSEQUIES OF VICE PRESIDENT WILSON- THE FUNERAL ON SATURDAY- THE MILITARY AND CIVIC DISPLAY- The funeral honors to the memory of the dead Vice President, as far as Philadelphia is concerned, were paid according to programme on Saturday morning. During Friday night the weather cleared up, and the decorations to the exterior of Independence Hall were completed, and handsome silk regimental flags tied with black were displayed from all the windows of the second story, and the main entrance was richly draped with large American flags twined with black around the door posts, and heavy folds of black material formed a canopy over the entrance. All the windows of the lower floors were draped with black, looped up with white rosettes.

An artist of the London Illustrated News was present on Saturday morning and took a number of sketches of the views inside and outside the Hall. Shortly before 8 o’clock in the morning in the morning the Hall, which had been closed at 2 o’clock, was again opened to the public, and a continuous line of persons commenced passing through to view the remains. As the morning advanced the crowd grew denser, an by 9 o’clock all the streets in the vicinity of Independence Hall were thronged, while directly in front of the Hall the street was literally packed.

The sidewalk from Sixth street to the main entrance was kept clear by the police, and persons who desired to enter the Hall were required to fall in a line, which extended from the entrance to Sixth and Walnut streets, and grew no shorter up to the time the procession moved. Members of the Councils, distinguished visitors and invited guests were furnished with tickets of admission to the Hall by way of the main door while the general public were admitted by the temporary stairway erected at the front window.

A careful estimate, founded upon actual count for a considerable length of time, shows that not less than 15,000 persons passed through the hall during the time it was open, from midnight on Friday until the moving of the funeral cortege on Saturday morning. Inside the hall the scene in the morning was much the same as the night before. The guard of Marines and members of the Second Regiment was still maintained and the floral and other decorations showed to considerably better advantage by daylight than by gaslight.

Early in the morning a wreath of white flowers was received from Madame Bergmans, accompanied by a note stating that  “the accompanying wreath is a tribute of respect and regard to the late Vice President from a particular friend, and she requests that it may be placed on his coffin.” Her request was complied with, and when the body was carried from the Hall, her wreath, with the other floral tributes sent by friends of the deceased was laid upon the lid of the casket.

At a quarter before ten o’clock a delegation of the Union League, headed by a band and carrying the League banner, arrived. Their band was stationed on the roof of the State House and performed dirges until the moving of the procession. The members of the League passed through the Hall and viewed the remains, after which they passed into Independence Square, where they dismissed, and did not take part in the procession to the railroad station.

At twenty minutes after ten o’clock the temporary entrance to the Hall was closed and preparations were commence for the street procession. The members of the Massachusetts delegation, the pall bearers, and a number of invited guests took a last view of the remains. Among those who were admitted were Sir. George Ferguson Bowen, G.C.M.G. Governor of the British Colony of Victoria, and his Aid-de-Camp Major Pitt; Hon. Washington Townsend, Member of Congress, forom the Chester district, and Mr. C.J. Henry, President of the Massachusetts Republican Club, of Washington.

McClurg’s Liberty Cornet Band, which was engaged to accompany City Councils in the procession, was stationed on the landing of the main stairway and performed several appropriate selections. The detail from the Second Regiment, under Captain Barnes, and the Marines, from the Washington Navy Yard, under Captain Haycock, were formed in a line in the vestibule, and the police cleared the crowd from the entire square on Chestnut street from Fifth to Sixth street. The hearse was then drawn up in front of the Hall, in the centre of the Second Regiment, which was the escort of honor from the First Division.

The hearse was built for the occasion by Messrs. Schuyler & Armstrong, the undertakers. It is a very large structure, entirely covered with black cloth, which hung down over the wheels almost to the ground; the top was dome shaped and surrounded with plumes, and on the apex was an American Eagle, stuffed and carrying in its beak a small American flag. The hearse was drawn by ten black horses, each of which was covered with black cloths and led by a colored groom.

Promptly at 11 o’clock, the time fixed in the programme, the casket was carried from the hall by the undertaker’s assistants, accompanied by the guard of honor of Washington marines and the pall-bearers, consisting of the following gentlemen: Hon. James Campbell, Mr. A.L. Hodgdon, of Select Council, who replaced Hon. A.E. Borie, who was detained away by sickness; Rear Admiral Thomas Turner and Commodore George H. Preble, U.S.N.; Major Gen. Robert Patterson and Major Gen. Geo. Cadwalader; Dr. W.W. Burnell, President of Select Council, and Mr. A. Wilson Henzsey, President of the Common Council.

As the casket and pall-bearers left the hall, the Marines from Philadelphia Navy Yard, which were drawn up in front of the hall, facing inwardly, presented arms, and the bands performed dirges.

When the casket had been placed upon the hearse the procession was formed and proceeded over the following route at funeral step, the military carrying arms reversed; Down Chestnut to Fourth, down Fourth to Walnut, out Walnut to Broad, and up Broad to the Germantown intersection.

The following is the order of the procession, the military being formed left in front:

Platoon of Reserve Police under Lieutenant Charles D. Crout.

Honorable John F. Hartrauft, Governor and Commander-in-Chief, and staff.

Major General J.P. Bankson, Commanding First Division N.G. of Penna. And staff.

Brigadier General Russel Thayer, Commanding Second Brigade, First Division, and staff.

R.P. Dechert Cornet Band.

Infantry Corps Suite Fencibles, Captain John W. Ryan.

Fourth Provisional Battalion, Captain A. Oscar Jones.

Sixth Regiment, Colonel John Maxwell.

Keystone Cornet Band.

Third Regiment, Colonel John F. Ballier.

Brigadier General H.P. Mulrhead, Commanding First Brigade, First Division, and staff.

Weccacoe Cornet Band.

Infantry Corps Washington Grays, Captain Louis D. Baugh.

Weccacoe Legion, Captain John P. Denny.

Back’s First Regiment Band.

First Regiment, Col. R. Dale Benson.

First Troop Philada. City Cavalry.

Black Hussars’ Band, mounted.

Black Hussars, Capt. Chris Kleinz.

Keystone Battery, Capt. S.B. Pouiterer

Second Regiment Band and Drum Corps.

Second Regiment, as Guard of Honor, Col. Peter Lyle commanding.

Navy Yard Band.

Pall bearers in carriages.

Marines from the Philadelphia Navy Yard, 100 in number, Captain F.D. Webster, Captain J.D. Sinyser, Lieut. H.C. Fisher and Lieut. W.C. Turner.

The hearse, guarded by marines from the Washington Navy Yard, under Capt. Geo. B. Haycock.

Officers of the Fifth Maryland Regiment.

The Massachusetts delegation and personal friends of the deceased in carriages.

Members of Congress in carriages.

Officers of the army and navy in carriages.

Mr. Samuel G. King, chairman of the Committee of Councils and Chief Marshal of the civic procession, mounted.

Assistant Marshals

McClurg’s Liberty Cornet Band.

The Committee of Councils.

Members of Select and Common Councils.

The Fire Commissioners, Mr. Joseph Loudenslager, President and Marshal.

Members of the Pennsylvania Legislature, Mr. Henry Huhn, Marshal.

Delegation of the Patriotic Order Sons of America, Wm. Wallace Lee, Marshal.

Philadelphia Union Club, A.C. Koots marshal.

Detail of Police, under Liuetenant Everly.

As the procession passed over the route designated, the bells of St. Stephen’s Church, Tenth street, above Chestnut, chimed appropriate airs, and the bell of St. John’s German Lutheran Church, Fifteenth and Ogden streets, and the State House bell, were tolled.

At Broad and Walnut the crowd was so dense that the police had considerable difficulty in keeping the passage way clear.

The Union League Building, on Broad, above Walnut, was handsomely decorated with American flags draped with crape, and the banner of the League was displayed from the portico, also hung with emblems of mourning. Broad street, from Walnut to the new Public Buildings, was roped along the sidewalks, and the street was kept entirely clear as far as Columbia avenue.

At Broad and Master streets the military, with the exception of the First City Troop, Black Hussars, Keystone Battery, U.S. Marines, and 2d Regiment, N.G. (which latter regiment constituted the body guard), drew up in line facing east and presented arms while the remainder of the funeral cortege passed up Broad street. At Broad and Columbia avenue the members of Councils and other special guests took carriages and preceded the hearse to the Junction depot. At Broad and Lehigh avenue the military drew up in line facing west, and the hearse and civic escort passed onwards to the railroad station.

When the remains were taken from the hearse at the Junction a procession was formed to the special train, consisting of four cars, in the following order: Assistant Sergeant-at-Arms of the U.S. Senate, Mr. Christy, Mr. D.H. Schuyler, the undertaker; the body, borne by the pall-bearers; detachment of U.S. Marines, acting as a guard of honor; the Massachusetts Committee; delegation of officers from the Fifth Maryland Regiment; members of Councils, city officials and citizens generally. McClurg’s band occupied a position on the platform at the station and played a dirge as the remains and the escort passed on to the cars.

The train started at 2 o’clock exactly, and no stoppage was made until Trenton was reached, the trip from the Broad street junction to Trenton being just 38 minutes.

At Trenton no formalities took place, and, after a stoppage of a few minutes, the train, containing the remains, the Massachusetts committee and the delegation from the Fifth Maryland regiment, sped onwards towards New York. The Philadelphians were then provided with carriages and were driven to the Trenton Hotel, where dinner was served, and about 5 o’clock the return train for Philadelphia was taken.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *